I would love to have the opportunity to share my gardening experiences with audiences and members for your venue, organization or gardening group.
Epic Tomatoes, my first book, was named Best Book - Gold award by the Garden Writers Association, as revealed at their September 2016 conference.
I have been (or soon will be) a keynote or guest speaker at some incredible locations, including:
- Northwest Flower and Garden Show in Seattle, WA
- Wylde Center, Decatur, GA
- Philadelphia Flower Show, Philadelphia, PA
- Mother Earth News FAIRs in Asheville NC, Seven Springs PA, Burlington VT
- Seed Savers Exchange, Keynotes and workshops, Decorah IA
- Monticello - Heritage Harvest Festival, Charlottesville VA
- Chicago Botanic Garden, Chicago IL
- Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square, PA
- Omni Homestead, Hot Springs VA
- Tower Hill Botanic Garden, Boylston MA
- Dow Gardens, Midland, Michigan
- NC Museum of History, Raleigh NC
- US Botanical Garden, Washington, DC
- Raulston Arboretum, Raleigh NC
- A Southern Season, Chapel Hill, NC
- Huntsville Botanical Garden, Huntsville, AL
- Organic Growers School, UNC Asheville, NC
- Pittsburgh Botanic Garden, Pittsburgh PA
- Moore Farms Botanical Garden, Lake City SC
- Horticultural Society of Maryland, Baltimore MD
- White Flower Farm, Morris CT
- John C. Campbell Folk School, Brasstown, NC
- Detroit area Master Gardeners Conference, Waterford, MI
- more to come; planning for 2017/18 well underway
I've also appeared on numerous radio shows and podcasts, such as Public Radio show The Splendid Table with Lynne Rosetto Kasper, The State of Things with Frank Stasio, and The Weekend Gardener with Niki Jabbour, as well as participation in local tomato themed dinners with chefs Ashley Christensen (Enoteca Vin, The Bridge Club), Kevin Callaghan (Acme Food & Beverage Co), and Sarig Agassi (Zely and Ritz), and spoke at the Terra Vita Food and Drink festival in Chapel Hill NC. I am featured on episode 803 of Joe Lamp'l's Growing a Greener World TV show, which began airing nationally on April 29, 2017.
My talks and workshops can be completely customized to meet the time constraints, audience sizes and areas of interest.
- I do request an honorarium, currently set at $2000.00, and coverage of expenses such as airfare, mileage, hotel and meals, as needed. Please note that this is a starting point for a negotiation, and I take into account the nature of the event and resources of the inviting host. If you are interested in booking me, get in touch and let's talk and make it work!
I am also happy to contribute articles on tomatoes and other gardening topics in my realm of expertise and experience to newspapers and magazines. I've been published in the Raleigh News and Observer, The American Gardener, North State Journal, and Gardener Supply Company publications and/or blogs. Compensation will be agreed following our discussions of topics and timing.
I loved this class. Craig had a great presence; you could feel his passion. He actually got me to think hard about tomatoes. I really enjoyed the hands on exercises and of course I loved getting to take some cool seedlings home.
Craig presented an original view from one who has hands-on experience. He had many original tips & observations to share. He offered a fine perspective from "outside the box", and fresh thinking. His tips were well tested. Made you feel you could safely try them.
I have taken multiple classes at Longwood Gardens and Total Tomato Adventure was perhaps my favorite. The enthusiasm of the speaker was contagious...I think I dreamt about tomatoes that night! Really a fun, informative class. I even purchased three of his signed books in the gift shop after class, one for myself, of course, and two for gifts. I have signed up for two other classes later in the season and am looking forward to them as well. Keep up the good work with the programming!
Workshop Focus Areas
- Everything Tomatoes, with my specialty being heirloom types and associated stories, the array of colors and flavors.
- All aspects of successful tomato growing, from planning through seed starting, cultural techniques, preservation and seed saving.
- Amateur tomato breeding
- Peppers and eggplant - primarily successful selection and culture for your particular areas.
- Container and straw bale gardening as a way to expand gardening to all who have some sun, and the interest to grow their own wonderful produce.
- Epic Tomatoes for Pacific Northwestern Gardens...some history, lots of stories, and tips for success
- Epic Tomatoes for Mid Atlantic Gardens...some history, lots of stories and tips for success
- Epic Tomatoes for Southeastern Gardens...some history, lots of stories, and tips for success
- Epic Tomatoes for Midwestern Gardens...some history, lots of stories, and tips for success
- Epic Tomatoes from Your Garden...history, stories, and tips for success
- Epic Tomatoes, with some peppers and eggplant too. History, stories, and tips for success
- Epic Tomatoes in Abundance - varieties and methods for great tomatoes in the Pacific Northwest
- The Total Tomato Adventure - from History to Harvest
- New Adventures in tomatoes - breakthrough varieties and a selection of methods for success wherever the sun shines
- How to grow Epic Tomatoes in southeastern gardens - varieties, stories and useful tips
- How to Grow Tomato Themed Gardens....ideas for creative approaches
- Five Must-Dos for Tomato Success in the Southeast
- Garden 101: Your Best Edible Garden - grow epic tomatoes wherever the sun shines
- Off The Vine - a selection of Epic Tomatoes for Northwest Gardens
- Tomatoes in America - Then and Now...on the trail of our tomato heritage
- The Holy Grail - how to grow great tomatoes from seed to harvest
- Epic Tomato Growing Techniques...varieties, stories and demos
- The Road to Epic Tomatoes....paved with SSE yearbooks
- The Dwarf Tomato Breeding Project..the first open source, all volunteer, all amateur, worldwide - and success! - approach to new, useful tomato varieties
- A Tomato Tasting is a Celebration! Some Hint, tips and information for you to get the most out of it
- Success with Tomatoes - some history, stories and tips
- Growing Veggies in Containers and Straw Bales...bringing your garden to the sun
If you would like to request a topic that you don't see here, make a suggestion!
I would like to thank the following wonderful companies - which I recommend with highest confidence - for providing support for me throughout the year, in terms of equipment used in events or seeds to share with my audience - and in all cases, truly valued friendship. Please get in contact with me if you are interested in providing some sponsorship for my efforts.